Many times, We’re asked why we refer to our club car shows as Concours d’Elegance. While many of our section call their competitive events car shows we prefer to use the French word, Concours d’Elegance.
Concours and car shows can be the same type of event provided they have some sort of judged competition for class awards, and Best of Show. The literal meaning of the French word Concours d’Elegance means a contest of elegance. It has its roots way back to the late seventeenth century when carriage builders would display their latest offerings.
Today’s Concours d’Elegance for motorcars had its start in Northern Italy at the Villa d’Est concours in 1929. The oldest recognized concours in the U.S. is the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance which held its inaugural event in 1950.
There are other examples of car shows which may not include any judging. Examples are: cars and coffee, clean car contests, cruise ins and other impromptu car gatherings. These are organized for the express purpose for the enjoyment of the spectators. Many of our club sections make these type of shows available for their membership. These types of events are well received by our younger members who seem to prefer spur of the moment events.
MBCA has been teaching concours judging for many years. Sections who wish to have the concours judging school taught at their Section or at a regional location should contact the National Concours Committee Chairman whose contact information appears in the Star under Committee chairs.
Concours/Car Shows Attended & Supported by MBCA
The following is an alphabetical listing of the many concours and car shows attended by the MBCA National Concours Committee and the MBCA National Enthusiast Committee Members over the past few years. Many of the images of these events are currently posted and will continue to appear on the MBCA “For Enthusiast” page and other places on the MBCA Website.
- Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, Fernandina Beach, Florida, SE Region
- Arizona Concours, Phoenix, Arizona, South West Region
- Arthritis Foundation Concours, Columbus Ohio, Great Lakes Region
- Ault Park Concours, Cincinnati, Ohio, Central Region
- Boca Raton Concours, Boca Raton, Florida, SE Region
- Concours of America at St. Johns, Plymouth, Michigan, Great Lakes Region
- Deutsch Marque Concours, Greater Washington Section, MBCA, Eastern Region
- Forest Gove Concours, Forest Grove, Oregon, North West Region
- Great Marques, Old Westbury, N.Y. Mid-Atlantic Region
- Hilton Head Concours, Hilton Head, S.C, Eastern Region
- June Jamboree, Northern New Jersey Section, MBCA, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Keels and Wheels, Seabrook, Texas, South Central Region
- Keeneland Concours, Lexington, Kentucky, Central Region
- Legends of the Autobahn, Monterey, California, Western Region
- Pebble Beach Concours, Pebble Beach, California, Western Region
- Pinehurst Concours, Pinehurst, North Carolina, Eastern Region
- Radnor Hunt Concours, Malvern Pennsylvania, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Gemutlichkeit Held at varying venues, Last Held in Pittsburgh, Great Lakes Region